Are your e-commerce customers reporting missing items from their package or that it was stolen off their doorstep? Package theft can affect customer shopping behaviour and how they perceive your brand. It is important to understand the types of packages thieves target as the online retailer is often to blame if the customer does not receive their product.
3 Factors Package Thieves Look For
There are several factors that can make your package light up like a red beacon for package thieves or porch pirates.
- Branded Packaging
- Descriptive Text on Box (E.g. Fragile, TV Inside)
- Large Packages
1. Branded Packaging
Branded packaging is a good indicator of what is inside a package, and how much it costs. When reality-star, Kylie Jenner, launched Kylie Cosmetics – customers reported that their order was missing from the package when it arrived at their doorstep. The branded black and white boxes were easily recognizable, thieves opened the boxes and stole the contents before they arrived to the customer. Since then, Kylie Cosmetics has changed their packaging to a plain black box on the outside with the branded design on the inside of the container. 31 percent of respondents from Shorr's 2017 Package Theft Report said they felt branded packaging makes packages more appealing to thieves.
2. Descriptive Text on Box
A package that tells you what is inside the box is all too easy for package thieves. This is similar to branded packaging; however, the descriptive text is telling thieves it is worth it to attempt to steal your package. This is an easy decision for thieves when they spot a tv shaped box with the manufacturer’s name printed on the side. 41 percent of Shorr's survey respondents stated they have avoided purchasing certain items online to prevent package theft – 43 percent being electronics.
3. Large Packages
In the mind of a package thief, the larger the package equals the bigger the payoff. Larger boxes are also easier for porch pirates to spot from a distance. It is common for online retailers to ship products in boxes that are too big for the product. The thief could be stealing batteries packed in an enormous box and think they are scoring some type of electronic. 13 percent of Shorr's survery respondents said they felt the size of the box makes packages more appealing to porch pirates.
What Makes Packages Appealing to Thieves?
How Online Retailers Can Reduce Package Theft with Smarter Packaging
Smarter packaging can help reduce the risk of package theft in transit and after it arrives at the customer’s doorstep.
1. Discreet Packaging: StealthWrap™
StealthWrap™ eliminates the extra cardboard shipping box all together. This shrink film system is designed to reduce packaging waste by 80 percent and ship products discreetly. With 99.9 percent opacity, StealthWrap™ shrink film is the perfect way to ship products without alerting thieves as to what is inside. StealthWrap™ allows online retailers to hide their recognizable branded packaging from thieves and maintain a strong brand interaction with consumers. StealthWrap™ is incredibly tough and has high tear strength, if it is torn, it will show clear signs of tampering. Black StealthWrap™ packages can be better hidden on doorsteps, as they are only as big as the product wrapped and package thieves are typically on the hunt for traditional cardboard packages.
- Reduce Shipping Costs by up to 18%
- Increased Packaging Speeds by up to 20X
- Reduce Packaging Waste by 80%
- Eliminate up to 1000 Cardboard Shipping Boxes per 1 Roll of StealthWrap™
- StealthWrap™ works just like any other shrink film, it can run any shrink wrapper and heat tunnel system.
- Improved Unboxing Experience
- Improved Customer Relationship
Advantages of StealthWrap™ to the Customer
- Tamper Evident Packaging
- Discreet to Potential Thieves
- Less Packaging to Dispose
- Improved Brand Interaction
- 47% of Shorr survey respondents purchase items from online stores because they have discreet boxes that do not indicate the contents.
- 54% of Millennials surveyed indicated they purchase items in discreet boxes to prevent theft.
- 37% of respondents said they would pay more for an item if it is delivered in discreet packaging.
2. Tamper Evident Packaging: Water-Activated Tape
Water-Activated Tape is a perfect way to combat package theft while the package is in transit. Packages sealed with Water-Activated Tape cannot be opened without leaving a broken seal and clear evidence of tampering. Traditional clear, plastic packaging tapes (polypropylene tapes) do not adhere well to high recycled content cartons, which makes it easy for thieves to open a sealed package, remove contents, and re-close the package. Water-Activated Tape is not affected by extreme hot or cold temperatures and can bond to cartons in dirty/dusty environments.
Advantages of Water-Activated Tape to the Online Retailer
- Increased Package Security
- Increased Package Strength
- Minimize Worker Injury: Eliminates repetitive strain injuries from use of traditional tape guns.
- Bonds to High Recycled Content Cartons
- Reduced Material Waste: Water-Activated Tape Dispensers dispense pre-set lengths of tape.
Advantages of Water-Activated Tape to the Customer
- Tamper Evident Packaging: Cannot be opened without
leaving a broken seal.
- Reduced Package Theft in Transit
- 100% Recyclable
- 100% Biodegradable
- Does Not Interfere with Corrugated Box Recycling Process
Protect Your E-Commerce Customers from Parcel Theft
We know we cannot stop people from stealing packages or it's contents, but there are steps retailers can take to discourage theft. 61 percent of respondents from Shorr's survey said that they felt online retailers are not doing enough to prevent package theft. Speak with one of our knowledgeable Packaging Specialists today to discover how we can help reduce your risk of parcel theft.
- "THE 2017 PACKAGE THEFT REPORT: PORCH PIRATES, PURCHASE HABITS, AND PRIVACY.” The 2017 Package Theft Report: Porch Pirates, Purchase Habits, and Privacy | Shorr Packaging Corporation, 2017, www.shorr.com/packaging-news/2017-05/2017-package-theft-report-porch-pirates-purchase-habits-and-privacy.